Apartment All-Grain

One of my main concerns when I decided to take up homebrewing was space. I think this is a common concern among new homebrewers, especially those living in apartments with significant others who would find living in a homebrewery less than enjoyable.

My goal is to dispel these concerns by going through my own brew setup. I'd like to begin by stating that I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with no balcony and I am able to quite comfortably brew 3 gallon, all-grain batches right inside my apartment. Granted my brew setup is not elaborate or fancy by any means, however I feel I have all of the essentials to make very good beer in my home.

The one thing that I have in my apartment that allows me to brew easily is a gas stove(flame, not electric burner). This is pretty common in most houses across the US, however if you do not have a gas stove there are other options such as induction brewing which I will talk about in a upcoming post.








One thing I have found to be especially critical when brewing in a small space is organization and storage efficiency. Think of one of those Russian nesting dolls, things inside of things, inside of things.

My brew set up was listed in a previous post  but I will copy it below for clarity:

Graham's All-Grain Apartment "Brewhouse" (3gal):
  1. 5 gal mash tun with ball valve and bazooka screen (see "Mash Tun Fun!")
  2. 5 gal stainless steel pot for boiling wort
  3. 3 gal stainless steel pot for sparge water
  4. 3 gal PET fermentor with bung and airlock
  5. 3 gal PET fermentor with bung and airlock
  6. 6 gal bottling bucket with spigot
  7. immersion wort chiller 
  8. water filter
  9. silicone tubing (3ft)
  10. auto-siphon / racking cane
  11. Star San
  12. hydrometer
  13. refractometer
  14. mash paddle/spoon
  15. thermometer
  16. nylon blow off hose
  17. bristle brush for bottles and carboy
  18. bottle capper and caps
  19. bottle filler (with tubing)
I use a Rubbermaid tub for all the smaller bits and hoses etc. I employ the "nesting doll" approach for all the bigger items such as kettles, fermentors and mash tun etc. Overall, I am very happy with this brew setup given the space I have to work with.

If you are on the fence about brewing because of space constraints, fear not, it can be done!

Cheers for now,
Graham

Comments